It’s Almost Spring, Garden Educators!
The bulbs and buds are emerging. According to the calendar, spring starts in a week,
but there’s still a small chance of frost. Read on for March highlights…
- Looking for a fun, simple way to motivate kids to sow seeds? Make Corn “Pop” with Flavor by cooking up this healthy snack.
- The School Garden Task Force gets a shout out in this article, Kids in the Garden.
- St. Patrick’s Day is a reminder to plant potatoes. Contact Bob Gilgorea to inquire about Bodega Red Seed Potatoes from the Slow Food Ark of Taste.
- Ditch school and fly to Vegas for the 5th AnnualGreen Our Planet’s School Garden Conference.
- Check out what Oregon State is doing to promote Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in Schools in thisExtension Article.
Lesson of the Month: As the weather improves, so do the insect populations. With this field guide, kids can identify what kind of ladybugs are present in the garden this time of year.
**Would you like to share an organization, resource, or lesson? Send me a note and I’ll include it in the monthly blast. **
If you’ve read this far, you deserve a prize! What and how much produce have you harvested in your school garden so far in 2019? The first 5 teachers to email me your answer are eligible to receive FREE Peaceful Valley seeds for a Three Sisters Garden.
Empowering teachers, schools, and communities to grow school gardens that enhance science education, nurture wellness, and foster environmental literacy.